The mission of the POCA Technical Institute is to recruit and train students to provide acupuncture to underserved communities through the People’s Organization of Community Acupuncture (POCA), and to establish an academic foundation for the practice of liberation acupuncture.
The specific goals of POCA Tech are to:
- meet all standards for ACAOM accreditation so that our graduates can sit for the national credentialing exam (NCCAOM);
- recruit students from the patient populations that POCA co-op clinics serve, with a particular emphasis on finding students from racially diverse and economically challenged backgrounds;
- train students in an affordable, trauma-informed educational setting that emphasizes social justice in healthcare;
- provide opportunities for students to learn organizing skills by taking real responsibility for the operation of the school
- connect graduates with employment opportunities for licensed acupuncturists in POCA co-op clinics or support them in creating new POCA clinics in underserved areas; and
- clarify liberation acupuncture’s principles, mechanisms, and implications within an interdisciplinary context and also with respect to patient care in POCA co-op clinics.